FAQ - slip and fall accident Claims

What is a slip and fall claim?

A slip and fall claim, also known as a trip and fall claim, is a when a person seeks legal action from incurring an injury from slipping (or tripping) and falling as a result of the negligence or the property owner. When a hazardous situation occurs, it is the obligation of the property owner to take steps to remove the hazard in a reasonable period of time. 


What are common causes of a slip and fall accident?

In Ontario, especially during the winter, snow and ice are common hazards that lead to accidents and personal injury claims. Other hazards resulting in personal injury claims in the Oshawa area include poorly maintained driveways and parking lots, poor lit areas, uneven floors, loose carpet or other loose objects, potholes, and wet floors and surfaces.  


What injuries resulting from a slip and fall accident May warrant compensation?

If you have been injured as a result of a slip and fall accident due to the property owner’s negligence, you may be eligible for compensation.


Who is responsible for a slip and fall accident?

Property owners, including private residential, commercial, public and government, all have a legal obligation to keep their premises safe for third parties. In Ontario, the Occupiers’ Liability Act states that it is the duty of the property owner to maintain their property and do what is reasonable to ensure safety.  


Can i get compensation for getting injured from a slip and fall accident?

Yes, you can make a claim for medical expenses, lost income and non-pecuniary damages (pain and suffering) if you have been injured as a result of a hazard on someone’s property. A personal injury lawyer in Lindsay can assist you in getting the compensation you deserve.


Are there time limits for compensation after a slip and fall accident?

Yes, there are strict limitations to make a personal injury lawsuit for a slip and fall accident. A personal injury lawyer in Cobourg or a personal injury lawyer in Oshawa can advise you at your free consultation.  


How do I pay for my legal services if I have to sue the insurance company?

At Kitchen Simeson Belliveau, slip and fall personal injury accident claims are handled on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not have to pay us until your claim is resolved and until you have received money. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Oshawa, Lindsay, Whitby, Cobourg, Ajax and Pickering, Bowmanville, Port Hope and surrounding areas at 905-579-5302